Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Change Pirate Day 4: Post #6

Thing #8: Learn about RSS feeds and setup your own RSS reader account.
1. Okay, I confess...I'm a complete n00b with RSS feeds, I really am. These were really good resources to learn about them, but I'm still going to have to do it myself before I completely understand how this works.

2. I really like the way this can streamline the things you enjoy. At this point I genuinely don't go through many blogs, mostly webcomics and news as I often feel like getting so many peoples opinions is overwhelming...like too many ads at tv getting me to look at their product their way instead of finding facts and formulating my opinion. Not like webcomics don't do this more subtly, but the key word is 'subtly' in this. If you're going to brainwash me, you don't want to give me a headache right out to begin with. The whole frog in a pot of boiling water sort of analogy.

PS: It seems a little silly I can't set my blog on there to automatically import my Change Pirate blog from here. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. I'll keep looking. Sheesh, Facebook can do it.

Thing#9: Locate a few useful library related blogs and other news feeds.

1.. Here's what I've got for a list of feeds:
Bloglines News
Bunny
Buttercup Festival
Change Pirate
Nebraska Library Commission Blog
O! What a Geek : Library Learning
Unshelved
The Weather Channel: National Weather Outlook
xkcd.com
The Bunny System

2. Running a search for feeds was fairly effective, though the occaisional more obscure feed I hd to actually run a search for to bring up the url, dig through it to find their RSS feed, and then use the "Add" and paste the rss feed link into there to get it to work. Not terribly inefficient, so I don't mind using it at all. I mostlys tuck with the sites I'm currently using to keep track of them, especially since I check them on a relatively regular basis now...


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: